Ingredients: (for 3 parathas)
Whole wheat flour (1/2 cup/ 80 g) + 1 1/2 tbsp
All purpose flour (1 cup/ 120 g)
Salt (1 tsp)
Sugar (2 tsp)
Lukewarm water (as required)
Desi Ghee (3 tbsp) + for frying
Oil (as required)
1. Mix together whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, salt and sugar.
2. Knead a dough, not very soft and not very hard either.
3. Refrigerate the dough in air-tight container for 30 minutes.
4. Knead again and divide the dough in 3 equal sized balls. Make a paste of 3 tbsp whole wheat flour and 1 1/2 tbsp desi ghee.
5. On a flat, clean, scratch proof surface, roll out a ball of dough (first with hands, and then with rolling pin), in to a big thin sheet.
6. Smear 1/3 of the paste on to the sheet.
7. Using a knife or a pizza cutter, cut the sheet along the length in to very thin strips.
8. Roll the strips one over the other, with the help of a spatula.
9. Now roll this long log of strips into a loosely packed ball (the way traditional lachha paratha is rolled)
10. Roll out this ball into a thick disc.
11. Transfer this disc on to a hot tawa, cook from both sides and fry in desi ghee.
Enjoy pheni/sevaiyan lachha paratha with spiced yogurt, or curry of your choice, or just by itself with a cup of tea/coffee!