Til Gur ki patti is a traditional flat-thin/brittle sweet made from sesame seeds and jaggery. This is usually made during the winter months to celebrate the festivals of Lohri and Makar Sankranti. The health benefits of sesame seeds and jaggery in keeping one warm in Winters make these an obvious choice for flat-thins!
White sesame seeds (3/4 cup)(100 gm)
Jaggery (3/4 cup)(120 gm)
Desi Ghee/clarified butter (2 tsp)
Water (2 tbsp)
Cardamom Powder (1 tsp)(optional)
Almonds (6-8)(coarsely ground)
- Set a pan to heat at medium. Lightly roast sesame seeds at low-medium heat. This takes 2-3 minutes.
- Allow them to cool.
- Grind coarsely half the sesame seeds. Retain the other half whole.
- Set a pan to heat at medium.
- Transfer water and jaggery. Allow jaggery to melt. Keep stirring.
- Add 1 tsp desi ghee. Cook jaggery till it gets a soft ball consistency ( jaggery will now start coating the spoon)
- Stir in cardamom powder. Mix.
- Stir in ground sesame seeds. Mix.
- Stir in whole sesame seeds . Mix. Cook till it all comes together as one mass.
- Transfer to a flat surface covered with parchment paper.
- Spread to flatten with a spatula.
- Cover with another sheet of parchment paper and press gently. Roll with a rolling pin till desired thickness is achieved.
- Remove the parchment paper on top. Allow to cool.
- Once warm, mark cuts at which you can later snap gajjak to make pieces.
- Allow to cool further, till it becomes brittle and solid. Snap to get smaller pieces.
16. Store in an air tight container. Enjoy for a few days!