Whole Milk/ Full fat milk (1 cup+ 2 tbsp)(Room temperature)
Strained Yogurt (5 tbsp)
Milk Powder (6 tbsp/50 gm)
Sugar ( 5 tbsp/90 gram)
Black cardamom (3-4)/Green Cardamom (1)
Saffron threads (a few)
Oil for greasing the bowl
Water for steaming
- Soak most of the saffron threads in 2 tbsp warm milk.
- Mix together 1 cup milk, and sugar. Blend well.
- Add strained yogurt, ½ tsp cardamom powder and milk powder.
- Add soaked saffron threads with milk. Mix with a spoon.
- Transfer the mix to a greased bowl.
- Sprinkle ½ tsp cardamom powder and remaining saffron threads.
- Heat water in a steamer.
- Place the bowl with mix in the steamer, a little above the water level.
- Steam at high for 20 minutes. Keep a watch till done (mine got done in 30 minutes)
- Kharwas is ready when the edges are a little raised (look cooked). On inserting a wet knife in the center, there might be little residue on the knife (its normal)
- Set to firm in the refrigerator for a few hours.
Cut into pieces and enjoy chilled!