Moong dal, washed and split (1/2 cup) (100gm)
Ghee (70 gm)
Sugar (80 gm)
Cardamom Powder ( 1 tsp)
Saffron threads (few)
Golden Raisins (kishmish) ( a handful)
Milk (1 ½ cup)
- Soak dal for 2 hours in warm water.
- Strain to remove all excess water.
- Coarsely grind dal, preferably without any water. If required, add as little water as possible.
- Set a big non-stick pan to heat at medium.
- Add ¾ quantity of ghee. Allow it to melt.
- Once melted, switch off the heat.
- Mix dal paste with ghee.
- Switch heat on medium.
- Start frying the mix. Keep tossing, keep stirring.
- In 15-20 minutes, mix will change consistency from paste to lumpy to grainy.
- Once grainy, add milk in instalments. Keep stirring.
- Reduce heat to between low and medium.
- The mix starts to thicken. Add sugar. Mix.
- Add raisins and slivered almonds. Mix.
- Keep stirring and frying, till desired consistency is reached.
Moong dal halwa is ready. Garnish with slivered almonds, raisins, and serve hot.