English video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJDH18Nj68s
White Bread: 6 slices
Oil for frying
Red Chili powder
Roasted Cumin Powder
1.Remove edges of the bread slices. Roll hard once in each direction to flatten the slices.
2. Using a cookie cutter, or a cap of any bottle, cut roundels from the bread slices. ( small roundels for serving papdi chaat in traditional manner, big roundels for a new unique method of serving)
3. Fry these roundels in a fresh batch of oil at medium heat
4. Spread on a paper towel for excess oil to be absorbed. Once cooled, wrap in a paper towel for a few minutes.
Serving suggestion (A)
1. Whisk yogurt, and add little salt.
2. In a serving platter, add some yogurt. Spread small roundels of papdi . Top with more yogurt, tamarind and green chutney, spices, and any/all optional toppings.
Serving suggestion (B)
Strain some yogurt. Add salt and toppings of your choice. Layer big roundels of papdi in a plate. Spread the yogurt mix on top of each papdi. Top with more chutneys and toppings.
Ingredients: (for 4 parathas)
Whole wheat flour dough ( with 1 cup flour)
Whole wheat flour (for tossing and rolling)
Red chili powder
- Roll a ball of dough to 3-4 inches diameter.
- Apply ghee at the center.
- Sprinkle generous pinch of flour over the ghee.
- Sprinkle salt, chili powder, garam masala or any spices of your choice.
- Pull together the edges and close the ball.
- Roll to a disc of 5-6 inches diameter.
- Transfer to the tawa warmed at medium heat.
- In a bowl, beat an egg and add spices/herbs as per choice.
- Puff up the paratha when it is partially cooked, and make an opening in the paratha.
- Drop in the egg mix into the paratha through the opening.
- Let egg cook inside the paratha. Cook and fry on both sides.
1. It is not essential to roll the dough on a rolling board. You may roll it on the clean kitchen shelf.
2. You could stuff a variety of finely chopped food items along with the egg. eg. onions, green chilli, beans, carrots, jalapenos, spinach, bell peppers, tomatoes, or grated cheese.
3. You could spice up the paratha by adding crushed black pepper, chilli flakes, or chaat masala. You could also add herbs like oregano, rosemary,or dill.
4. You may choose to stuff in less/ more egg in each paratha.
For 6 servings of bhaji
Potatoes, medium sized (7)
Tomatoes, bright red, medium sized (5)(chopped tomatoes 3 ½ cups)
Onions, chopped (2 cups)
Ginger-Garlic Paste (1 ½ tsp)
Butter (4 tbsp)
Water (310 ml, or as required)
Chopped Cauliflower (4 tbsp)
Chopped capsicum (Bell pepper) ( 2 tbsp)
Chopped carrots (2 tbsp)
Green Peas (2tbsp)
Cilantro Chopped, a handful
Spring onions, for garnishing
Salt (2 ½ tsp or as required)
Red Chili Powder (1/3 tsp)
Coriander Powder (1 tsp heaped)
Pav Bhaji Masala (1 ½ tbsp)
Kashmiri Red Chili (Kashmiri lal mirch) ( 1 tsp heaped)
- Set a big pan to heat at medium.
- Once the pan is warm, transfer 1 tbsp butter. Reduce heat to low.
- Melt butter at low heat.
- Add ginger garlic paste and sauté for few seconds.
- Add onions and sauté till pink (not brown)
- Add kashmiri lal mirch and fry at low heat.
- Add chopped carrots. Add 1 tbsp water. Cover with lid and cook at low-medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped cauliflower. Add 1 tbsp water. Cover with lid and cook at low-medium heat, till slightly tender (2-3 minutes)
- Add chopped capsicum. Add 1 tbsp water. Cover with lid and cook at low-medium heat, for a minute.
- Add green peas, and ½ tsp salt. Add 1 tbsp water. Cover with lid and cook at low-medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Mash the veggies lightly with a potato masher.
- Add chopped tomatoes, with ½ tsp salt. Add 2 tbsp water. Cover with lid and cook till tomatoes are tender (4-5 minutes)
- Mash nicely.
- Crush the potatoes in the pan over the veggies.
- Add remaining spices and ¾ tsp salt. Add ¾ cup water. Mix well. And cover with lid.
- Cook for a few minutes. Mash nicely while tossing frequently, till you see very tiny bits of veggies (do not make it like a paste).
- Add remaining butter, and more water if need to adjust consistency.
- If using salted butter, check for salt after melting the butter. Add more salt as required. (I added a total 2 ½ tsp salt)
- Add chopped cilantro leaves, and mix.
- Garnish bhaji with chopped cilantro leaves, spring onions, and lemon juice. Serve bhaji with pavs pan fried in butter and red chili.
NOTE : Apart from pavs, bhaji tastes good with sliced bread, burger buns, and dinner rolls as well.
Use could add small quantities of any seedless veggies to the bhaji, like cabbage, red, orange and yellow bell peppers, bottle gourd (lauki), pumpkin.