Sweet Edible Roses! Golap Pitha from the Bangla cuisine
Ingredients (makes 10 roses):
All purpose flour (Maida) 1 cup (little less than 150 g)
Milk (11/4 cup) (310 ml)
Salt (a pinch)
Sugar (1 tbsp)
Desi ghee ( 2 tsp)
For sugar syrup
Sugar ( 2 cups)
Water ( 1 cup)
Cardamom powder( Ilaichi powder) 1/4 tsp
1. Set a non-stick pan to heat at medium.
2. Add milk, salt, sugar, desi ghee. Stir till milk gets warm and ghee melts.
3. Stir in maida. Keep stirring till it becomes dough like (happens very quick)
4. Transfer to a mixing bowl. Allow to get warm. Knead for 8-10 minutes till dough becomes smooth.
5. Cover with a lid and let rest for 10 minutes.
6. Take a ball of dough, roll it out like a roti, and cut smaller circles. The circles shrink a little inwards by the time you assemble since maida has elasticity, so make decent sized smaller circles.
7. To make a rose, overlap 3 small circles and pinch at the center. Cut the three circles (only outside the pinched part). Mark 3 cuts so that the circles are divided into 9 equal portions. These will form the petals of the rose.
8. To make the center, cut a small rectangle and roll it into a small cylinder. Make centers for all roses.
9. Shape these cut circles into a rose as shown in the video.
10. Fry at low to medium heat.
11. Also keep the sugar syrup ready by melting sugar in water and thickening it a little. Do NOT cook syrup to thread consistency.
12. Immerse the fried roses while still hot in to warm syrup. Let sit in syrup for 30 minutes.
Take out the roses on to a plate. Enjoy with your loved ones!!