Ingredients: For 4 parathas
Whole wheat dough
Chopped onions (1/3 cup)
Chopped beans (1/3 cup)
Chopped capsicum (1/3 cup)
Shredded cabbage (1 cup)
Shredded carrots (1 cup)
Shredded processed cheese (2 cups or more as per choice)
Oil (1 tbsp+ for frying)
Maida ( 1 tbsp)
Water (2 tbsp)
A Making the filling
- Set a pan to heat at medium.
- To the warm pan, add a tbsp of oil.
- To warm oil, add chopped onions, and sauté till light pink.
- Add beans. Saute for 30 seconds.
- Add capsicum. Saute for 30 seconds.
- Add cabbage. Saute for 30 seconds.
- Add carrots. Saute 30 seconds.
- Add 1/3 tsp salt. Mix well. Switch off heat.
- Transfer the mix to another bowl for cooling.
- Once the mix is completely cool, add 4 tbsp shredded cheese and mix well.
- Add 1 ½ tbsp chili flakes or as per choice.
- Add little Italian seasoning as per choice.
- Always check for salt after adding cheese. Add more if need be. I needed to add ¼ tsp salt.
B.Making maida paste for sealing
To 1 tbsp maida, add water little at a time, and make a smooth thick paste.
C. Making semi cooked rotis first
- Roll a very big roti.
- Cook it very lightly from both sides.
- You could prepare all these semi cooked rotis first, and assemble later.
D. Assembling the paratha
- On the outer edge of roti smear maida paste (till 1/2 inch from outer edge)
- Transfer ¼ of leftover cheese to the center of roti. Layer with ¼ prepared filling. Shape filling like a rectangle.
- Fold roti one by one from all sides to seal like an envelope. Apply more paste on open surfaces for easy sealing.
- Fry parathas on the tawa.
- Another method is to cook roti lightly from one side. Flip it over. keeping heat at lowest, assemble paratha while still on the tawa, and fold like an envelope. Fry the paratha. This method needs you to work very fast.