Masala Chana Dal Khichdi is a spicy peppy version of khichdi made in a pan. No pressure cooker is required for cooking this. Khichdi is a one-pot meal made with the combination of rice and lentils. A great way to enjoy a protein rich food in your meals any time of the day!!
Rice 1 cup
Bengal Split Gram (Chana Dal) ½ cup
Water 3 ¼ cup
Oil 3 tbsp
Ginger Paste (1 tbsp)
Bay Leaves (2)
Cinnamon Stick/dalchini (1) small
Cumin (Jeera) 2 tsp
Sliced Onions 1 cup
Turmeric Powder ½ tsp
Kashmiri Lal Mirch 1tsp
Green Chili (2)
Coriander powder (1 ½ tsp)
Hot Red Chili Powder (3/4 tsp)
Salt (1 ½ tsp)
Garam Masala (3/4 tsp)
Lemon Juice ( 1 tbsp)
Fresh Coriander Leaves (handful)
Wash and soak chana dal for atleast 4 hours
Wash and soak rice for maximum 15 minutes ( Practically to be soaked just before starting cooking)
1. Set a wide pan to heat at medium on the large burner of gas stove.
2. Add oil and let warm.
3. Add bay leaves and cinnamon stick. Saute.
4. Add cumin seeds and allow to crackle. Reduce heat to low.
5. Add turmeric powder, and sauté.
6. Add all spices and sauté.
7. Add soaked and drained chana dal, and roast for a minute.
8. Add soaked and drained rice and roast for 2 minutes.
9. Add water. Increase heat and cover with a lid in such a way that there is space for excess steam to escape.
10. Once water boils, reduce heat to low, and allow it to cook for 10 minutes.
11. Add cilantro leaves and lemon juice. Toss gently.
12. Cook for 2 more minutes.
13. Switch off the heat when little water is left. Keep the lid on, and move away the pan from the hot burner.
14. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
Optional: You may temper with hot desi ghee to which whole red chillis/ green chilis have been added.
Enjoy Masala Chana Dal Khichdi with pickles, green chilies, chopped onions, curd or a dash of lemon juice.