Maggi noodles cake with masala packet (1)
Water (225 ml)
Minced garlic (1 tsp)
Chopped Onions ( 2 tbsp)
Chopped green pepper/capsicum (2 tbsp)
Chopped carrots (2 tbsp)
Green peas (2 tbsp)
Grated processed cheese ( 3-4 tbsp/as per choice)
- Set a pan to heat at medium.
- Add 1 tsp butter. Allow to melt.
- Add garlic. Saute. Add onions and saute for a minute.
- Add capsicum and carrots, and saute for a minute.
- Add green peas and saute.
- Add water. Transfer contents of masala packet. Mix. Add 2 tbsp cheese and mix.
- Cover with a lid and let boil.
- Add maggi noodles cake broken in to smaller pieces.
- Cover and cook for 2 minutes.
- Cook uncovered for 2 minutes.
- Add salt and chilli flakes as required.
- Switch off heat and allow to rest for a minute.
- Serve hot garnished with grated cheese.
English video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJDH18Nj68s
White Bread: 6 slices
Oil for frying
Red Chili powder
Roasted Cumin Powder
1.Remove edges of the bread slices. Roll hard once in each direction to flatten the slices.
2. Using a cookie cutter, or a cap of any bottle, cut roundels from the bread slices. ( small roundels for serving papdi chaat in traditional manner, big roundels for a new unique method of serving)
3. Fry these roundels in a fresh batch of oil at medium heat
4. Spread on a paper towel for excess oil to be absorbed. Once cooled, wrap in a paper towel for a few minutes.
Serving suggestion (A)
1. Whisk yogurt, and add little salt.
2. In a serving platter, add some yogurt. Spread small roundels of papdi . Top with more yogurt, tamarind and green chutney, spices, and any/all optional toppings.
Serving suggestion (B)
Strain some yogurt. Add salt and toppings of your choice. Layer big roundels of papdi in a plate. Spread the yogurt mix on top of each papdi. Top with more chutneys and toppings.
Dish # 1
Vegetable Roti Poha
Roti (2)(left-over/ fresh)
Oil (2tsp+ 2 tbsp)
Peanuts (2 tbsp)
Cumin Seeds (heaped tsp)
Mustard seeds (1/2 tsp)
Ginger Paste (2 tsp)
Green Chili paste (1 tsp)
Chopped Onions (4 tbsp)
Chopped bell peppers (1 cup)
Turmeric Powder (1/3 tsp)
Salt ( 1tsp)
Kashmiri Lal mirch/deggi mirch (1/2 tsp)
Coriander Powder (1tsp)
Garam Masala (1/2 tsp)
Green Peas (1/2 cup)
Frozen corn (1/2 cup)
Chopped cilantro leaves
Lemon Juice (1 tbsp)
- Tear rotis in to small pieces.
- In a mixer grinder/food processor, pulse the roti pieces to get small bits. Keep these aside covered.
- Warm a pan to heat at medium.
- Add 2 tsp oil to the warm pan and roast the peanuts at low-medium heat. Keep the roasted peanuts aside.
- Heat the pan again.To the warm pan add 2 tbsp oil. To the warm oil, add cumin seeds and mustard seeds.
- Once the seeds crackle, add chopped onions. Reduce heat to low-medium.
- Add ginger paste and green chili paste. Saute till onions turn pink.
- Reduce heat to low. Add turmeric powder. Saute. Add Kashmiri Lal mirch. Saute.
- Add green peas and frozen corn (thawed). Mix well and cover with lid. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add finely chopped bell peppers. Mix, cover with lid and cook for a minute.
- Add ½ tsp salt, 1 tsp coriander powder. Mix. Transfer roasted peanuts and roti bits.12.
- .Add ½ tsp salt and 1/3 tsp garam masala. Mix well.
- Cover with lid and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped cilantro leaves and lemon juice. Serve hot!
Oil (for frying)
Salt (as per taste)
Crushed Red Pepper, chaat masala, garlic salt (as per taste)
- Cut each roti in 8 parts.
- Set a pan with oil to heat at medium.
- Once oil is warm, reduce heat to low-medium. Drop in roti pieces.
- Fry till the pieces become crisp. (takes 4-5 minutes)
- Drain away excess oil
- Spice up the pieces as per your choice.
Oil (1 tbsp)
Garlic (2 tsp)
Sliced Onions (1/2 cup)
Shredded Cabbage (1/2 cup)
Shredded Carrots (1/2 cup)
Shredded bell peppers (1 cup)
Salt (1/2 tsp + 1/3 tsp)
Red Chili sauce (2 tsp) ( as per taste)
Soy Sauce (less than a tsp)
Vinegar/lemon juice (2 tsp)
- Cut rotis in to thin strips and cover. Put aside.
- Warm a pan to heat at medium.
- To the warm pan, add 1 tbsp oil. Transfer chopped garlic, and sliced onions.
- Fry till onions turn translucent.
- Transfer shredded veggies. Add ½ tsp salt. Toss well and cook uncovered for 1 minute.
- Add roti cut in strips.
- Add 1/3 tsp salt. Toss.
- Add red chili sauce, soy sauce and vinegar. Mix.
- Increase heat to high and toss.
For 6 servings of bhaji
Potatoes, medium sized (7)
Tomatoes, bright red, medium sized (5)(chopped tomatoes 3 ½ cups)
Onions, chopped (2 cups)
Ginger-Garlic Paste (1 ½ tsp)
Butter (4 tbsp)
Water (310 ml, or as required)
Chopped Cauliflower (4 tbsp)
Chopped capsicum (Bell pepper) ( 2 tbsp)
Chopped carrots (2 tbsp)
Green Peas (2tbsp)
Cilantro Chopped, a handful
Spring onions, for garnishing
Salt (2 ½ tsp or as required)
Red Chili Powder (1/3 tsp)
Coriander Powder (1 tsp heaped)
Pav Bhaji Masala (1 ½ tbsp)
Kashmiri Red Chili (Kashmiri lal mirch) ( 1 tsp heaped)
- Set a big pan to heat at medium.
- Once the pan is warm, transfer 1 tbsp butter. Reduce heat to low.
- Melt butter at low heat.
- Add ginger garlic paste and sauté for few seconds.
- Add onions and sauté till pink (not brown)
- Add kashmiri lal mirch and fry at low heat.
- Add chopped carrots. Add 1 tbsp water. Cover with lid and cook at low-medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped cauliflower. Add 1 tbsp water. Cover with lid and cook at low-medium heat, till slightly tender (2-3 minutes)
- Add chopped capsicum. Add 1 tbsp water. Cover with lid and cook at low-medium heat, for a minute.
- Add green peas, and ½ tsp salt. Add 1 tbsp water. Cover with lid and cook at low-medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Mash the veggies lightly with a potato masher.
- Add chopped tomatoes, with ½ tsp salt. Add 2 tbsp water. Cover with lid and cook till tomatoes are tender (4-5 minutes)
- Mash nicely.
- Crush the potatoes in the pan over the veggies.
- Add remaining spices and ¾ tsp salt. Add ¾ cup water. Mix well. And cover with lid.
- Cook for a few minutes. Mash nicely while tossing frequently, till you see very tiny bits of veggies (do not make it like a paste).
- Add remaining butter, and more water if need to adjust consistency.
- If using salted butter, check for salt after melting the butter. Add more salt as required. (I added a total 2 ½ tsp salt)
- Add chopped cilantro leaves, and mix.
- Garnish bhaji with chopped cilantro leaves, spring onions, and lemon juice. Serve bhaji with pavs pan fried in butter and red chili.
NOTE : Apart from pavs, bhaji tastes good with sliced bread, burger buns, and dinner rolls as well.
Use could add small quantities of any seedless veggies to the bhaji, like cabbage, red, orange and yellow bell peppers, bottle gourd (lauki), pumpkin.
Aloo bhujia or potato sev is crispy and crunchy, thin noodles made with potatoes and chickpea flour (besan). A perfect accompaniment to tea or coffee! A perfect topping for bhalla papdi chaat, bhel poori chaat or sev poori chaat!
Boiled Potatoes (4 medium sized)
Chickpea flour (2 cups or less)
Kasuri Methi (2tsp)
Salt (1 tsp)
Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder (1 tsp)
Roasted Cumin Powder (1/3 tsp)
Dry Ginger Powder (1/4 tsp)
Black Pepper Powder (1/4 tsp)
Coriander Powder (1 tsp)
Turmeric Powder/Haldi (1/4 tsp)
Dry mango powder (amchoor) (1/3 tsp)
Oil (for frying and kneading the dough)
Chatt Masala (only for garnish)
1. Sift chickpea flour and keep aside.
2. Pound kasuri methi to a fine powder. Strain, and keep aside.
3. Mash boiled potatoes, and mix in all the spices, including strained kasuri methi
4. Mix together to get lump free dough. Add 1 ½ tbsp oil and mix.
5. Add half the chickpea flour and mix in with dough.
6. Keep adding chickpea flour 1-2 tbsp at a time, and knead till you get soft and not so sticky dough.
7. Apply some oil on your finger and smoothen out the dough.
8. Cover the dough with a lid and allow it rest for 30 minutes.
9. Set a flat bottomed pan with oil to heat at medium.
10. After dough has rested, give a final knead to the dough. Divide in to two parts and shape as logs.
11. Apply oil inside a sev maker.
12. Check oil for doneness.
13. Reduce heat to low, and using sev maker drop thin noodles in to the hot oil. Move in a spiral, avoiding over-lapping the noodles.
14. In a minute, bottom side will be fried.
15. Flip over the sev spiral and fry the bottom side.
16. Transfer on to a paper towel.
17. Crush between fingers to get smaller convenient pieces. Sprinkle chaat masala and serve homemade aloo bhujia/potato sev with hot tea or coffee.
Pin this recipe at https://www.pinterest.com/pin/5078512…