Ingredients: (for 24 rotis)
Samo seeds (2 cups)
Water (5 cups)
Salt (2 tsp)
Oil (1 1/2 tbsp + for making flatbread on griddle)
Potatoes (boiled, peeled and mashed) (3)
1. Wash sama rice thoroughly with water.
2. Transfer to a microwave safe bowl.
3. Add water and salt.
4. Microwave at 100% power for 5 minutes. Give it a mix.
5. Microwave for 10 minutes at 80% power. The mix should look crumbly now. If need be, microwave for a few more minutes (each microwave is different, so timing may vary).
6. Allow it to cool.
7. Add oil and mashed potatoes and knead very well.
8. Divide into equal sized balls.
9. Roll each ball into a disc of 1mm thickness and 3-4 inches diameter, exactly the way you roll makki ki roti or kuttu ke aate ki roti ( check video for tips on easy rolling)
10. Cook on both sides, at medium to high heat.
Enjoy with potato curry or any curry of your choice.
To view this video in English,
To view this video in English, check out the video below
For 3 servings:
Whole Wheat Flour (3 tbsp)
Oil( 3 tbsp)
Water (6 cups/ 1.5 liter)
Salt ( 1/2 tsp or as per taste)
Red Chilli Powder( 1/3 tsp or as per taste)
Coriander Powder( 1/2 tsp)
Turmeric Powder(1/2 tsp)
1. Saute the flour in oil at medium heat, till it starts oozing out oil and turns brown in color ( takes approximately 5-7 minutes)
2. Add turmeric powder and saute.
3. Add the rest of the spices. Mix together well.
4. Add water and bring to a boil at high heat.
5. Reduce the heat to medium and let simmer till the water reduces to half the quantity.
6. Add boondi/ sev/bhujia/ram laddoo.
7. Let stand for a few minutes.
Serve with roti, paratha or rice.
For making papppadam/papad curry or besan cheela curry, simmer to reduce the water for about 20 minutes ( as in step 5). Add 4 masala papads (pappadam), broken into small pieces and pan-fried, to the gravy. Also add a small piece of lentil wadi (optional). Cook for another 7 minutes or till the desired consistency is achieved. Let stand for 15 minutes and then serve.
To view this video in English, check out the link
Whole Wheat Flour (11/2 cup + some for rolling and dusting)
Water + milk ( 200 ml, warm)
Oil ( 1 tbsp)
Desi Ghee or any oil of your choice( as required)
1.Using water+ milk mixture, knead a soft dough with whole wheat flour, sugar, salt and oil.
2. Refrigerate the dough for atleast 30 minutes.
3. After 30 minutes, give a quick final knead to the dough and divide it in 5 equal sized balls.
4. Using dry flour, roll a ball into a big disc, say 10 inches diameter.
5. Apply a generous helping of desi ghee on this disc.
6. Using a knife or pizza cutter, make 5 vertical and 5 horizontal cuts on the disc.
7. Sprinkle dry wheat flour onto this disc.
8. The whole disc is now divided into smaller pieces.
9. Start piling these small pieces one on top of the other, with the smallest as the topmost and the largest one as the bottom most.
10. You will now have a big pile of pieces.
11.Press it firmly with your palm.
12.Toss this big pile into the dry wheat flour and roll it into a disc, say 7 inches in diameter.
13. Cook this on a hot griddle(medium heat), on both sides.
14. Apply desi ghee on both sides and press lightly to make a crisp lachchha paratha.
15.Once off the griddle, crush it very gently between your palms to separate the layers.
Your crisp, crumbly, soft parat paratha is ready. Enjoy it with any curry, veggie, lentil or raita of your choice, or with a cup of tea/coffee.
Maggi noodles cake with masala packet (1)
Water (225 ml)
Minced garlic (1 tsp)
Chopped Onions ( 2 tbsp)
Chopped green pepper/capsicum (2 tbsp)
Chopped carrots (2 tbsp)
Green peas (2 tbsp)
Grated processed cheese ( 3-4 tbsp/as per choice)
- Set a pan to heat at medium.
- Add 1 tsp butter. Allow to melt.
- Add garlic. Saute. Add onions and saute for a minute.
- Add capsicum and carrots, and saute for a minute.
- Add green peas and saute.
- Add water. Transfer contents of masala packet. Mix. Add 2 tbsp cheese and mix.
- Cover with a lid and let boil.
- Add maggi noodles cake broken in to smaller pieces.
- Cover and cook for 2 minutes.
- Cook uncovered for 2 minutes.
- Add salt and chilli flakes as required.
- Switch off heat and allow to rest for a minute.
- Serve hot garnished with grated cheese.
English video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJDH18Nj68s
White Bread: 6 slices
Oil for frying
Red Chili powder
Roasted Cumin Powder
1.Remove edges of the bread slices. Roll hard once in each direction to flatten the slices.
2. Using a cookie cutter, or a cap of any bottle, cut roundels from the bread slices. ( small roundels for serving papdi chaat in traditional manner, big roundels for a new unique method of serving)
3. Fry these roundels in a fresh batch of oil at medium heat
4. Spread on a paper towel for excess oil to be absorbed. Once cooled, wrap in a paper towel for a few minutes.
Serving suggestion (A)
1. Whisk yogurt, and add little salt.
2. In a serving platter, add some yogurt. Spread small roundels of papdi . Top with more yogurt, tamarind and green chutney, spices, and any/all optional toppings.
Serving suggestion (B)
Strain some yogurt. Add salt and toppings of your choice. Layer big roundels of papdi in a plate. Spread the yogurt mix on top of each papdi. Top with more chutneys and toppings.
Dish # 1
Vegetable Roti Poha
Roti (2)(left-over/ fresh)
Oil (2tsp+ 2 tbsp)
Peanuts (2 tbsp)
Cumin Seeds (heaped tsp)
Mustard seeds (1/2 tsp)
Ginger Paste (2 tsp)
Green Chili paste (1 tsp)
Chopped Onions (4 tbsp)
Chopped bell peppers (1 cup)
Turmeric Powder (1/3 tsp)
Salt ( 1tsp)
Kashmiri Lal mirch/deggi mirch (1/2 tsp)
Coriander Powder (1tsp)
Garam Masala (1/2 tsp)
Green Peas (1/2 cup)
Frozen corn (1/2 cup)
Chopped cilantro leaves
Lemon Juice (1 tbsp)
- Tear rotis in to small pieces.
- In a mixer grinder/food processor, pulse the roti pieces to get small bits. Keep these aside covered.
- Warm a pan to heat at medium.
- Add 2 tsp oil to the warm pan and roast the peanuts at low-medium heat. Keep the roasted peanuts aside.
- Heat the pan again.To the warm pan add 2 tbsp oil. To the warm oil, add cumin seeds and mustard seeds.
- Once the seeds crackle, add chopped onions. Reduce heat to low-medium.
- Add ginger paste and green chili paste. Saute till onions turn pink.
- Reduce heat to low. Add turmeric powder. Saute. Add Kashmiri Lal mirch. Saute.
- Add green peas and frozen corn (thawed). Mix well and cover with lid. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add finely chopped bell peppers. Mix, cover with lid and cook for a minute.
- Add ½ tsp salt, 1 tsp coriander powder. Mix. Transfer roasted peanuts and roti bits.12.
- .Add ½ tsp salt and 1/3 tsp garam masala. Mix well.
- Cover with lid and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped cilantro leaves and lemon juice. Serve hot!
Oil (for frying)
Salt (as per taste)
Crushed Red Pepper, chaat masala, garlic salt (as per taste)
- Cut each roti in 8 parts.
- Set a pan with oil to heat at medium.
- Once oil is warm, reduce heat to low-medium. Drop in roti pieces.
- Fry till the pieces become crisp. (takes 4-5 minutes)
- Drain away excess oil
- Spice up the pieces as per your choice.
Oil (1 tbsp)
Garlic (2 tsp)
Sliced Onions (1/2 cup)
Shredded Cabbage (1/2 cup)
Shredded Carrots (1/2 cup)
Shredded bell peppers (1 cup)
Salt (1/2 tsp + 1/3 tsp)
Red Chili sauce (2 tsp) ( as per taste)
Soy Sauce (less than a tsp)
Vinegar/lemon juice (2 tsp)
- Cut rotis in to thin strips and cover. Put aside.
- Warm a pan to heat at medium.
- To the warm pan, add 1 tbsp oil. Transfer chopped garlic, and sliced onions.
- Fry till onions turn translucent.
- Transfer shredded veggies. Add ½ tsp salt. Toss well and cook uncovered for 1 minute.
- Add roti cut in strips.
- Add 1/3 tsp salt. Toss.
- Add red chili sauce, soy sauce and vinegar. Mix.
- Increase heat to high and toss.
Ingredients: For 12 Masala Aloo Pooris
Whole Wheat Flour (1 ½ cup/200g)
Semolina (1 tbsp)
Chickpea Flour (1 tbsp)
Boiled Potatoes (at room temperature)(4 small sized)(180 g)
Oil ( for kneading, rolling and frying)
Water (5 tbsp or as required)
Coriander/ Cilantro leaves(3 tbsp)
Dried Fenugreek leaves (Kasuri methi) (1 ½ tbsp)
Carom Seeds (ajwain)(1/2 tsp)
Salt (¾ tsp)
Turmeric Powder (1/3 tsp)
Red Chili Powder (1/2 tsp or as per taste)
Coriander Powder (2 tsp)
Asafoetida(hing) (1/3 tsp)
Dry Ginger Powder(sounth)(1/3 tsp)
Garam Masala (1/2 tsp)
- Grate the boiled potatoes using a fine grater (no lumps).
- Crush fenugreek leaves and carom seeds, using a mortar and pestle or between your palms. Add in all the other dry spices and salt.
- To a mixing bowl, add whole wheat flour, semolina and chickpea flour.
- Mix in the dry spice mix.
- Add cilantro leaves, 1 tbsp oil and grated potatoes. Mix in well to make a crumbly mixture.
- Keep it aside for 2-3 minutes.
- Add water 1tbsp at a time and knead a stiff yet pliable dough.
- Smear little oil on the ball of dough and store in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- When ready to roll, knead the dough a little. Divide in equal sized portions. Apply some oil between your palms and shape each portion into a smooth ball without any cracks.
- Set a pan with oil to heat at high.
- Roll out pooris, kneading evenly.
- Fry the pooris, and enjoy with raita, pickle, sauce or a cup of tea/coffee!